Healthy lifestyle habit which also requires constant and consistent efforts simply means you are less prone to sickness whether it is a heart disease, diabetes or even cancer.
Tips for a healthy lifestyle
1. Eating of balanced diet
* Versatility in your meals: Your meals should be versatile. It should include fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds and whole grains. Eat at least fruits and vegetables that are fresh and seasonal. If you are not a vegetarian, you can include fatty fish to your diet due to the omega 3 acids in it which can help prevent inflammatory diseases.
* Reduce salt intake: minimize your intake of salt. It shouldn’t exceed a teaspoon, reduce the amount of high sodium condiments in your food and also cut back on salty snacks. Minimizing the amount of sodium contents you take reduces your risk of suffering from high blood pressure.
* Cut back on your sugar intake: Reduce the amount of sugar you take in a day. Avoid candies and sweetened drunks like juices and sodas. Reducing sugar intake limits the likelihood of developing diseases like diabetes, heart diseases, cancers or even stroke.
*Avoid unhealthy fats: Try to stick to unsaturated fats like olive oil, avocados, fish, nuts e.t.c. Saturated fats like red meat, cheese, butter should be avoided as well as trans fats gotten from baked foods.
2. Always stay well hydrated
Take glasses of water consistently in a day. Our body is made up of 80% water which means water is necessary for regular functions in the body like bowel function, muscle performances, skin health etc. When you lack water in your body , it leads to fatigue, dehydration, dry skin or even go as far as weakening the immune system.
3. Exercise your body on a regular
You should get at least 30 minutes of exercise daily whether it’s through swimming, jogging, walking, Pilates the main goal is to stay fit. Exercising helps to maintain a healthy weight and also decrease the probability of developing diseases.
4. Always get enough good sleep
Getting long hours of sleep helps to heal and strengthen your immune system and body. Having a good sleep schedule is vital for your mental and physical health. There is a strong link between sleeping and our immune system.
5. Reduce your intake of alcohol
Excess alcohol intake can lead to liver or even cancer in the body. It causes impaired judgement and can lead to accidents and injuries. You should limit your alcohol intake in a day.
6. Stop smoking
Smoking can lead to lung cancer and also increase your risks for heart disease or other organ cancers as well. As much as it is harmful to your health, smoking is also harmful to the ones around you. It causes damages to their airways and lungs which can also lead to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease (COPD).
7. Always Protect yourself from direct sunlight
If you expose yourself to direct sunlight constantly, it may lead to skin cancer. Protect yourself with sunscreens and also avoid staying under the sun for long without protection or overalls.
8. Wash your hands within intervals
Washing of your hands regularly with sanitizers, soap and water is very effective for stopping the spread or contacting infection. Wash your hands before and after handling waste products, before and after eating, After using the toilet or even while attending to a sick person. You can wear gloves too.
9. Know how to manage your stress levels
Being stressed can trigger illnesses in your body like migraines, high blood pressure or even hear problem. Look for ways to relieve your stress. You can relieve them through reading a book, dancing, singing, going on a walk or even having a relaxing bath. You can also reach out to friends and have s nice chat with them because sometimes saying out your problems tend to lessen the tension in our body.
10. Observe Safe S** Practices
Being mindful of your s***** health is important for a healthy lifestyle. Make use of condoms to avoid contacting s****lly transmitted diseases like syphilis, AIDS etc.