Creating sardine bread is a flavorful way to incorporate the richness of sardines into a delightful baked treat. This savory bread offers a unique twist to traditional bread recipes, combining the nutritional benefits of sardines with the comforting goodness of homemade bread. Whether as a snack, appetizer, or accompaniment to meals, sardine bread brings a burst of flavor to your table.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup warm water
1 can (about 4.4 oz or 125g) of sardines in oil, drained and mashed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
Black pepper (to taste)
Additional olive oil (for brushing)
1. Activate the Yeast: In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Add in the yeast over the water and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
2. Mix the Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
3. Combine Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix the mashed sardines, olive oil, chopped parsley (if using), lemon juice (if using), and black pepper.
4. Prepare the Dough: Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the activated yeast mixture and the sardine mixture. Gradually incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing until a dough forms.
5. Knead the Dough: Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead it for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
6. First Rise: Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1-1.5 hours, or until it doubles in size.
7. Shape the Dough: Once the dough has risen, punch it down gently to release the air.Shape the dough into a loaf and place it onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
8. Second Rise: Cover the shaped loaf with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow it to rise again for about 30-45 minutes until it puffs up.
9. Preheat and Bake: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).Optionally, brush the top of the loaf with a little olive oil before placing it in the oven. Bake the sardine bread for about 25-30 minutes or until its golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
10. Cool and Enjoy: Once baked, transfer the sardine bread to a wire rack and allow it to cool before slicing. Serve the flavorful sardine bread slices on their own or with spreads, dips, or alongside your favorite dishes.
Adjust the amount of black pepper or add additional spices/herbs for extra flavor. Experiment with different varieties of sardines (in oil or water) to find your preferred taste. This bread pairs wonderfully with cream cheese, tomato slices, or even a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar dip. Sardine bread offers a savory twist to traditional homemade bread, infusing it with the robust taste of sardines. Enjoy this flavorful creation as a standalone snack or as a complement to a variety of meals, delighting in its unique taste and nutritional benefits.