Honeycomb pasta, also known as “Mezze Maniche,” is a delightful and versatile pasta variety that captures sauces and flavors in its hollow, honeycomb-like structure. Honeycomb pasta offers a fantastic canvas for a variety of sauces, making it a versatile choice for your culinary adventures. Whether paired with a classic marinara, a rich Bolognese, or a creamy Alfredo sauce, honeycomb pasta will always deliver a satisfying and memorable dining experience. So, let your creativity flow, experiment with different sauces, and indulge in the delightful world of honeycomb pasta dishes. Bon appétit! In this article, we’ll explore the step-by-step process of creating a delectable honeycomb pasta dish that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more.
12 ounces (340g) honeycomb pasta (Mezze Maniche)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Fresh basil leaves, chopped (for garnish)
1. Boil the Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the honeycomb pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Preserve a cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta and set it aside.
2. Prepare the Sauce: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Put your minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Be mindful so you do not to burn the garlic.
3. Add Crushed Tomatoes and Seasonings: Pour in the crushed tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes if you prefer a spicy kick. Stir the sauce well to combine the ingredients. Let the sauce simmer over medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together and the sauce to thicken slightly.
4. Combine Pasta and Sauce: Add the cooked honeycomb pasta to the skillet with the sauce. Toss the pasta gently to coat it evenly with the flavorful tomato sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, you can add a bit of the reserved pasta water to achieve your desired consistency.
5. Serve and Garnish: Transfer the saucy honeycomb pasta to serving plates or a large bowl. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese generously over the top, allowing it to melt slightly from the warmth of the pasta.Garnish the dish with freshly chopped basil leaves for a burst of color and a refreshing aroma.
6. Enjoy Your Culinary Creation: Honeycomb pasta absorbs the sauce wonderfully, providing a perfect balance of texture and flavor in every bite. Serve the dish immediately while it’s hot, and savor the delightful combination of al dente pasta, aromatic tomato sauce, and savory Parmesan cheese.