Did you know that regular cleaning of your washing machine is necessary? As your laundry cycles in the machine, detergent residues and mineral deposits accumulate inside, leading to unpleasant odors, mold, and mildew. Learning how to clean your washing machine naturally with DIY solutions is essential. Here’s a guide that works for both top- and front-loading machines, promoting an eco-friendly laundry routine.
Before You Start
It’s important to consult your owner’s manual or manufacturer’s website to ensure compatibility with this DIY method, as some materials in the machine may be sensitive to acidic substances like vinegar.
While bleach is an option, using natural cleaners like vinegar, when combined with baking soda and essential oils, creates an effective and eco-friendly washing machine cleaner.
What You’ll Need
2 to 4 cups white vinegar
1/2 to 1 cup baking soda
A few drops of essential oils (optional)
Cleaning a Top-Loading Washing Machine
1. Run Vinegar Through the Machine: Use the largest load size and hottest water. Add 4 cups of vinegar while the machine fills, pause, and let it sit for an hour to break down detergent buildup.
2. Clean Exterior: Use vinegar-dampened cloth to clean the outside.
3. Scrub Detergent Dispenser: Use an old toothbrush to clean the detergent tray.
4. Restart Machine: Restart and let it drain, then proceed with a baking soda cycle.
5. Choose Essential Oil: Optionally add essential oils to combat mold and mildew.
6. Run Baking Soda Cycle: Add 1 cup baking soda and oils, run a full cycle.
7. Air-Dry Interior: Leave the lid open to air-dry or dry with a rag if the lid must be closed.
Cleaning a Front-Loading Washing Machine
1. Vinegar Spray: Spray the interior with vinegar and clean rubber gaskets.
2. Clean Gaskets: Use vinegar-soaked rag to clean gaskets and inside drum.
3. Vinegar Wash: Pour 2 cups of vinegar into the dispenser, run a hot cycle.
4. Baking Soda Load: Add 1/2 cup baking soda and oils, run the same cycle.
5. Clean Exterior: Spritz outside with vinegar and wipe with a rag.
6. Ensure Dry Interior: Wipe the interior or leave the door ajar for drying.
Regularly cleaning your washing machine using these natural methods can prevent residue buildup and maintain a fresh, clean machine.