Red Lentil Dahl is a culinary masterpiece that tantalizes the taste buds with its rich flavors and comforting aroma. This hearty lentil stew is not only delicious but also incredibly easy to make, making it a favorite among home cooks and food enthusiasts alike. In this article, we will guide you through the steps of creating a mouthwatering Red Lentil Dahl
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
3 cups water
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch ginger, grated
1 large tomato, diced
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Teaspoon chili powder add more if you prefer it spicy
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Salt, to taste
Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnish
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups vegetable broth
1. Prepare the Lentils: In a large bowl, rinse the red lentils thoroughly until the water runs clear. In a saucepan, combine the rinsed lentils with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are soft and mushy. Stir within intervals and add more water if necessary.
2. Temper the Spices: In a separate large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter, releasing their aroma. Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown. Stir in minced garlic and grated ginger, cooking until the raw smell disappears.
3. Add Tomatoes and Spices: Add diced tomatoes to the pot and cook until they become soft and pulpy.Sprinkle turmeric powder, ground coriander, chili powder, and salt. Stir well to combine the spices evenly.
4. Combine with Lentils: Pour the cooked red lentils into the pot with the spice mixture.Add vegetable broth to achieve the desired consistency. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, stirring within intervals.
5. Final Seasoning: Sprinkle garam masala over the dahl and adjust the salt and spices according to your taste preferences.Let the dahl simmer on low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to mix well.
6. Garnish and Serve: Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes.Garnish the Red Lentil Dahl with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.Serve the dahl hot, accompanied by steamed rice, naan bread, or your favorite Indian flatbread.
With its aromatic spices and creamy texture, Red Lentil Dahl is a true celebration of flavors. This recipe offers a simple yet authentic way to experience the culinary delights of Indian cuisine in the comfort of your home. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner, this dish is sure to impress your taste buds and leave you craving more. Enjoy the warmth and goodness of homemade Red Lentil Dahl.