For the Chicken
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness, and cut into 1-inch wide slices
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 cups crisp puffed rice cereal (preferably brown rice cereal)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Spicy Sweet Sauce
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1. Marinating the Chicken: In a medium bowl, coat the chicken with buttermilk, ensuring all pieces are well-covered. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, allowing the chicken to absorb the flavors.
2. Preparing the Coating: Place the crisp puffed rice cereal in a resealable plastic bag and crush it with a rolling pin until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Transfer the crushed cereal to a shallow bowl. Add chopped almonds, sweet paprika, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
3. Coating the Chicken: Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Dip each piece into the cereal-almond mixture, ensuring they are evenly coated on all sides. Press lightly to help the coating adhere.
4. Baking the Chicken: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a wire rack on a large, rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Arrange the coated chicken pieces on the rack and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown.
5. Making the Spicy Sweet Sauce: In a small dish, combine Dijon mustard, honey, and mayonnaise. Stir until well combined.
6. Serving: Serve the hot or warm crispy fried chicken breasts with the spicy sweet sauce on the side for dipping. Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or chives for a vibrant touch.