Chironji, also known as Charoli, is a popular dried fruit often used as a substitute for almonds due to its rich nutrient content. Widely utilized in Indian cuisine, sweets, kheer, and vermicelli, Chironji is a versatile ingredient found throughout the year. Besides being a culinary delight, this nut offers numerous health benefits and has a significant place in Ayurvedic medicine.
1. Natural Cooling Effect: Chironji is commonly used in summer dishes for its natural cooling properties. It helps reduce body heat and provides an internal cooling effect. In Ayurvedic remedies, Chironji is included in preparations for treating skin conditions like itching and prickly heat.
2. Skin Health Booster: Chironji seeds are transformed into excellent face packs, and the oil extracted from them moisturizes the skin while helping fade dark spots and blemishes. Ground Chironji seeds are combined with ingredients like gram flour, curd, honey, lemon, or rose water and Fuller’s Earth to create cleansing scrubs. These scrubs protect the skin from infections and acne, promoting a healthy complexion.
3. Digestive Aid and Bowel Regularizer: Chironji aids digestion and regularizes bowel movements. Its seed oil possesses astringent properties that help bind stool particles together, providing relief from diarrhea. Adding a few drops of Chironji oil to Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) can effectively treat loose stools. Chironji root extract is also believed to be beneficial for treating ulcers indicative of stomach issues.
4. Enhances Reproductive Health: Considered an effective aphrodisiac, Chironji is used to improve reproductive health. It enhances vitality and sexual vigor, serving as a remedy for issues like loss of libido.
5. Relieves Nasal Congestion: Chironji can help clear nasal congestion and severe cold. Inhaling steam infused with a few drops of Chironji oil aids in expelling mucus, providing relief from blocked nasal passages.
6. Supports Weight Loss: Chironji is low in calories yet rich in protein and dietary fiber. This combination promotes satiety, curbing hunger pangs and reducing the need for frequent eating. Additionally, Chironji contains essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin B1, B2, and niacin. Niacin, an organic compound present in Chironji, detoxifies the body and enhances brain function.