Turmeric, a widely used spice globally, finds applications not only in cooking but also in cosmetics and religious ceremonies. Its vibrant yellow hue has earned it the nickname ‘the golden spice,’ and it contains over 100 chemical compounds, making it remarkable.
The active compound, curcumin, is particularly valuable in combating various diseases, including diabetes. Apart from its healing properties, turmeric offers several health benefits, especially for diabetes patients. However, it should be consumed in moderation as it can significantly lower blood sugar levels, which might be unsafe for those with diabetes. Here are seven ways turmeric can aid in fighting diabetes
1. Turmeric Milk: Prepare turmeric milk by adding turmeric to boiled milk. Studies suggest that this milk can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Use skimmed milk for best results.Turmeric and Black Pepper: Combine turmeric with black pepper in milk. The phytochemicals in black pepper and turmeric prevent blood vessel damage, a common effect of diabetes.
2. Cinnamon and Turmeric: Mix cinnamon powder with turmeric milk. Research indicates that this spice combination can lower insulin and triglyceride levels triggered by high-fat meals, effectively reducing blood sugar levels.
3. Turmeric Root Extract: Consuming turmeric root extract helps reduce insulin resistance and improves beta cell functioning, which is beneficial for diabetes management.
4. Honey and Turmeric: Mix a small amount of honey with turmeric milk (consult a physician before trying this). This combination aids in healing diabetic wounds and lowering cholesterol. However, it’s crucial to seek medical advice before using honey long-term due to its sweetness.
5. Ginger and Turmeric: Combine ginger powder with turmeric milk to help regulate fasting blood sugar levels, providing a natural way to keep blood sugar in check.
6. Gooseberry and Turmeric: Mix turmeric with gooseberry juice and consume in the morning. This remedy helps maintain blood sugar levels, utilizing gooseberry’s anti-diabetic properties and its ability to improve cholesterol levels in diabetes patients.